CSST Gas Tubing
Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) is a flexible product that is used to deliver natural gas or liquid propane from the manifold to a gas appliance. A dedicated CSST line is installed for each gas appliance and these lines are routed in the void spaces created by the flooring joists. The same thin metal composition of CSST that makes it flexible also makes it susceptible to damage and physical breaches (e.g., nail/screw punctures) and arcing from electrical sources. Lt. Flynn and BC Laird were killed in separate but similar fires that started due to CSST failure during a lightning strike to the home.
Environmental studies and home building trends suggest the potential for an increase in CSST fires as the frequency and intensity of severe storms rise and the number of homes and utilization of this material increases. Added to this is the push to build larger homes.
Phoenix Advocates will:
- Educate the fire service on risks and response tactics for suspected CSST fires
- Collect data on CSST fires
- Educate consumers and trades on CSST variations and alternatives
- Support legislation, such as the Flynn-Laird Act in Maryland (HB 1502)
- Encourage industry to invest in production of safer products
For more information, training resources, investigation reports, legislative updates and reporting/data collection please visit www.csstinfo.com